Additional Resources You Might Find Helpful
- A child’s understanding of spoken language and ability to follow directions.
- A child’s use of language including vocabulary, grammar and more.
- A child’s understanding and use of social rules in communication
- Sound Development
- Motor planning and production of the sounds that create speech
- Difficulties with the flow of speech including blocks, repetitions and prolongations of sound as well as accompanying movements and behaviors.
Augmentative Alternative Communication
- Augmentative Alternative Communication
- Supporting training and use of forms of communication other than oral speech
- A developmental disability that causes difficulties with social skills and communication with a wide spectrum of skill levels
TEACCH-“A University-based system of community regional centers that offers a set of core services along with unique demonstration programs meeting the clinical, training, and research needs of individuals with ASD, their families, and professionals across the state of North Carolina. TEACCH Autism Program, founded by Dr. Eric Schopler in 1972, is a model for other programs around the world. TEACCH Autism Program provides clinical services such as diagnostic evaluations, parent training and parent support groups, social play and recreation groups, individual counseling for higher-functioning clients, and supported employment. In addition, TEACCH Autism Program conducts training nationally and internationally and provides consultation for teachers, residential care providers, and other professionals from a variety of disciplines. Research activities include psychological, educational, and biomedical studies.”